If you’re considering a cyber security control room, you’ve come to the right place. There are unique needs when planning, designing, and building a security-focused control room. Let’s take a look at what you need to know.
Why a Cyber Security Control Room?
There’s a certain amount of risk involved in having your security team out in the open. This is true of any security operation, However, it is especially true with cyber security. Safety considerations often demand that you contain your SOC (Security Operations Center) in a separate control room setup. A central location reduces the potential for breaches. It also cuts down on the chances for outsiders to gather information simply due to proximity. In addition, it consolidates all of your systems and security resources to one location.
The Importance of Operator-Centric Design
The staff that is running your SOC needs to be able to manage all of their workstation systems.They must have access to the different technologies they’re responsible for monitoring and communication with their peers. At the same time they are monitoring hyper-sensitive information. This is not a lunchroom, this is a control center where operators need to sit and monitor data for hours at a time. Comfort is critical! Make sure your design team considers these important elements for your SOC:
- Ergonomic furniture design to avoid fatigue and workplace injury from improper positioning
- Easy access to all keyboards, monitors, communication devices, and other workstation tools
- Environmental factors including lighting, heating and air conditioning, and access to restrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms
- Sightlines to video walls and other displays and information panels within the control room
- Access to coworkers and leadership at all times, but especially when in crisis mode
- Workflow and floorspace design that will reduce foot traffic, increase ergonomics of the space as a whole, and increase worker comfort and efficiency
The Importance of a Good Team
Creating a control room setup is not the same as a typical office build-out. You can’t just throw up some walls, do some electrical, add some desks, and call it a day. The needs of any control room, and especially of a cyber security SOC, require special attention by people who know what they’re doing. From the design phase to construction and installation, you need to be sure you’re working with a team of professionals. It’s important for them to provide a comprehensive solution that addresses all of the specialized requirements of your security room design. Your business depends on it, and your security relies on it.
There are lots of companies who can build you a control room, but you need to find the team that understands exactly what you need, right out of the gate. Count on our team at Fountainhead Control Rooms for the background and experience to address all of the unique needs of your cyber security room design.